As promised to me in my last ATOSUni Campaign Update, today on Twitter @mgtmccartney has sounded the klaxon calling for nurses who have taken part in Derby University-Atos training to speak to her in confidence.
Margaret McCartney is the GP who sensationally added to the Atos maelström with her British Medical Journal feature “Well enough to work” in which she investigated the ethics and fairness of the disability assessment process. #ATOSuni will be part of a planned follow-up and Dr. McCartney can be contacted privately via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
#ATOSUni has yet to hit mainstream consciousness even with the Machiavellian farce that is the House of Lords Welfare Reform Bill discussions and voting lead by Investment Banker Lord Freud. A testament to just how badly the decks are stacked against people with disabilities and benefits recipients in general are the Welfare and Employment Conference 2012, featuring Department of Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith, which takes place on 26th January and Lord Freud’s “Of Mutual Benefit Launch” Demos event held in March 2011. The latter is all the more odious as it was “a privte, invitation-only roundtable taking place under Chatham House rule in the Wilson Room, Portcullis House, House of Commons”.
I can but hope that Dr. McCartney is able to make inroads where I have not.
- @CreativeCrip #ATOSUni Campaign Update (thecreativecrip.wordpress.com)
- Atos – University Accreditation in “Disability Analysis” (thecreativecrip.wordpress.com)
- Well enough to work? (bmj.com)
- Welfare & Employment Conference 2012 (govknow.com)
- PM seeks to improve NHS nursing (ageuk.org.uk/)
- Green Party calls for the removal of #ATOS from benefits assessments #ukpolitics (thecreativecrip.wordpress.com)
- Phil Shanks: Benefit Charges Simply Don’t Suit a Country Like Britain (huffingtonpost.co.uk)
- MUST READ: New Labour, the market state, and the end of welfare #Atos (thecreativecrip.wordpress.com)
- TBA on #creativecrip – new section detailing my personal experiences with Atos (thecreativecrip.com)
- Disability benefit reform: is the government hiding behind Atos errors? (guardian.co.uk)
- Ask UNUM FAQ: Atos, WCA, CardiffU and Biopsychosocial Model (thecreativecrip.wordpress.com)
- An independent review of the work capability assessment. M. Harrington. (DWP)
- Atos doctors could be struck off (guardian.co.uk)
- CarerWatch evidence to Harrington (carewatch.wordpress.com)
- Harrington report on incapacity testing is too simplistic (guardian.co.uk)
- ABI adds voice to calls for political consensus on long-term care (hi-mag.com)
- Guest post: Disabled Activists and the Anti-Cuts Movement (ukuncut.org.uk)
- Welfare Reform Bill so far – 23 Dec 2011 (parliament.uk)
- Disability benefit TREBLES in 20 years: 3.5m could be claiming by 2015, warn ministers (dailymail.co.uk)
- Welfare cuts: Cameron’s problem is that people are nicer than he thinks | Polly Toynbee (guardian.co.uk)
- 3.5m could be on disability benefit in just three years: Reform needed to cut huge bill, say ministers (dailymail.co.uk)
- CarerWatch Forum and the risk of potentially ‘libellous’ hyperlinks (creativecrip.wordpress.wordpress.com)
- CarerWatch Discussion Forum “likely” to be reinstated after talks with Atos (thecreativecrip.wordpress.com
- CreativeCrip Atos Communications Strategy (thecreativecrip.wordpress.com
- #HardestHit Jedi Mind-Tricks (thecreativecrip.wordpress.com)