I’m always alone and attempted suicide Christmas 2009.
Last year marked the first of what is turning out to be an annual Twitter event in supporting those of us who are either literally alone for the Holidays or feel isolated for whatever reason. Started by @prestontowers of prestoninstitute.com, I tweeted
#xmasathome #nyeathome 2011 support as @Creative Crip and blogged here about it.
New Year’s Eve was a bigger effort. Not onlydid I blog here (a few times in fact), I also did a feature on my latent Crip Island Posterous Blog replete with photos taken in-world during my own corresponding #VirtualNYE campaign event in the virtual world (aka metaverse) Second Life linked into a Google Hangout celebrating the new year as it was rung in across the globe.
Yesterday I woke up to the bitter reality of my @Creative Crip account being suspended without warning yet again. At first I decided to not bother, simply because of the significance of the @CreativeCrip identity to me and to others who rely on me for support. My mind was changed by sleeping on it and getting a few tweets from my followers. I was reminded of how many people look to me as a source of strength online despite my own fragility. I prefer to keep my Twitter activity compartmentalised, but when it comes to something like #xmasathome #nyeathome #virtualnye, keeping an eye on the bigger picture is vital.
So this year I’ll be tweeting support from @IconicImagery, the account for my Marketing Communications business and my new @GamerFems project (gaming, metaverse, feminism and all manner of geekery). I’ll also have another post or two about #VirtualNYE 2012-2013 in the next few days. The support is the thing that matters regardless of which account it comes from. So let it be written, so let it be done.
That’s how I roll.
- Xmas at Home – Continuing the Momentum – prestoninstitute.com (2012)
- Christmas at Home and New Year’s Eve at Home – Building a Twitter Community – prestoninstitute.com (2011)
- Christmas At Home – How Could It Work? – prestoninstitute.com (2011)
- #xmasathome #nyeathome – no need to be alone over the Holidays – thecreativecrip.com (2011)
- #CreativeCrip #cripmas #xmasathome 2011 – thecreativecrip.com (2011)
- #virtualnye – a new @CreativeCrip #creativecrip campaign – thecreativecrip.com (2011)
- My New Years Traditions (2012) #NYEathome #virtualNYE #creativecrip – thecreativecrip.com (2011)
- My #VirtualNYE Campaign supporting #NYEathome : This is how I roll. – thecreativecrip.com (2011)
- My #VirtualNYE Campaign supporting #NYEathome : Photos! – cripisland.posterous.com (2011)